Legend of Zelda: An RPG to the Past
The Deku are a race of intelligent fey plant life that are known for their habit to choose the side of a fight based on personal gain rather than loyalties. Some Deku may be more than willing to help you, while others may simply attack on approach. All Deku have the ability to spit a self-generated nut, generally to attack.
All Deku share the same red-orange eyes, wooden bodies, and plant based body features. They tend to stand between 4’5" and 3’0".
Deku Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, -4 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom: While the Deku are fleet of foot and well spoken, they lack the physical might and collective wisdom of other races.
- Small: Deku are small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. They suffer a -1 penalty to their CMB and CMD.
- Normal Speed: Despite their size, the Deku move at a fleet base speed of 30 feet.
- Growing Creatures: For the purposes of spells and abilities, Deku count as Plants. Due to their nature, they are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms), paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning. While plants breath and eat, they do not sleep unless they want to gain a beneficial effect from it; they can sleep to regain spells, but do not need it to survive.
- Forest-Folk: Deku receive a +4 to Stealth while within Forests.
- Seed Spitter: As a Deku, you have the ability to project seeds from your mouth. You may use this ability a number of times a day equal to your Constitution modifier plus your hit dice (minimum 1). As a Standard action you can spit a seed up to 20 feet away, dealing 1d6. This attack counts as a Natural Weapon.
- Treespeech: Deku have the ability to speak with plants as if under a continual Speak with Plants spell.
- Wooden Body: Being made of wood has some downsides. Deku are vulnerable to fire damage and take half again as much damage from it (+50%), regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed.
- Languages: Deku begin play speaking Deku. Deku with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Ancient Hylian, Common, Hylian, and Sylvan.
Image © Nintendo; As seen in Majora’s Mask