Legend of Zelda: An RPG to the Past
Decended from the Zora after the flood of Hyrule, Rito are bird-like humanoids that live on the Island of Dragon Roost. Known widely for the ability to fly, they are envied by other races and generally assume the vital task of Mail Delivery across the Great Sea. The Rito are a chiefdom, one that tends to be inherited by the eldest male or “prince”, and have a general militarized guard across the island.
An important note in Rito customs is the coming of age ceremony. Rito are born wingless and when they come of age they are expected to climb Mount Dragon Roost to speak with Sky Spirit Valoo. After passing a number of trials, they receive a scale from Valoo which causes their wings to grow, and begin life in the village as an adult.
The Ritos normal characteristics are tanned skin, a beak-like nose which generally passes above the brows, bird-like feet, pointed ears, and generally have red eyes. Male Rito have white hair, while females tend to be brunettes. Wing colors are reversed for male and female. They range on the short side of human growth, rarely growing over 5’8". Rito are humanoids with the Avian subtype.
Note: This template assumes that you have already gone through the coming of age ceremony, and have your wings. If you would like to play a Fledgling Rito, consult your GM!
Rito Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution: The Rito are nimble and pleasing to the eye, but tend to have frail bodies.
- Medium: Rito have no bonuses or penalties based on size.
- Normal Speed: Rito have a move speed of 30 feet.
- Flight: Rito have a Fly speed of 40 feet at poor (-4 to Fly checks) maneuverability. They receive Fly as a class skill.
- Distance Flier: With a background in long-distance flying, Rito receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.
- Nimble Faller: A lifetime in the air prepares Rito well for falling. They always land on their feet, even when they take lethal damage from a fall. Furthermore, they gain a +1 bonus to their CMD against trip attempts.
- Languages: Rito characters begin play knowing Common and Hylian. Rito with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Ancient Hylian, Draconic, Goron, Deku, and Moblin.
Image © Nintendo; As seen in Wind Waker