Legend of Zelda: An RPG to the Past
Hylians are a race decended from the favor of the Goddess Hylia and were once the most common race in Hyrule. Gifted the ability to cast magic and minor psychic powers by the Goddess, they are generally considered the superior race. Over the years, the bloodline of Hylians began to thin and humans replaced Hylians as the most common race. In Hyrule, Hylians are considered a sub-race of Humans and are given no special treatment. The same cannot be said of Termina, which seems to be comprised almost entirely of Hylians.
Hylians have the same deviations and diversity as humans, though are differentiated by their narrow pointed ears. They have the same growth process as Humans, though trend slightly taller.
Hylian Racial Traits
- +2 to One Ability Score: To represent diversity in their nature, choose one score and add +2 to it.
- Medium: Hylians suffer no penalties or bonuses due to size.
- Normal Speed: Hylians have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Hylians can see twice as far as humans in the dark.
- Hylian Immunities: Hylians are immune to sleep and gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws to resist enchantment spells and effects.
- Lucky: Hylians gain a +1 racial bonus to all saving throws.
- Gift of Tongues: Hylians gain a +1 racial bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and every time they spend a rank in Linguistics they learn an additional new language.
- Magical Linguist: Hylians gain +1 to the DC of spells they cast that have the language-dependent descriptor or that create glyphs, symbols, or other magical writings. They also gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against such spells. Hylians with a Charisma score of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities (the caster level is equal to the user’s character level): 1/day— arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic
- Weapon Familiarity: Hylians are proficient with all bows and any weapon with the world “elven” in its name.
- Languages: Hylians begin play speaking Common and Hylian. Hylians with High Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Ancient Hylian, Deku, Draconic, Gerudo, Goron, Moblin, and Zoran.
Image © Nintendo; As seen in Hyrule Historia